Koda Farms

Obituaries- May 10

Yukie Higashino, born on June 24, 1915, in Loomis, Calif., passed away in Sacramento, Calif., on April 1. She is survived by daughters Joyce Tekawa (Ty) and Helen Kobayashi (Jinji); grandchildren Gregg Tekawa (Karen), Jann Noto (Franklin), Kevin Kobayashi, Steven Kobayashi (Michelle) and Allen Kobayashi (Christine); great-grandchildren Sarah and Scott Tekawa, Nicolete and Mackenzi Noto, and Kimiko Kobayashi. She is also survived by brothers Yosh Domen (Haru) and Bill Domen. She was preceded in death by husband Takeo, parents Jinnosuke and Yae Domen, and siblings Kimie Miyake, Yoshiko Sasaki, and Mits Domen. She and her family were interned during World War II at Tulelake, Calif., and Topaz, Utah. She enjoyed crocheting, playing golf, and traveling to places near and far.

Fumiko Yamaguchi passed away in her sleep at Mum’s Home Sweet Home #2 on April 9, just one day after her 88th birthday, a very auspicious birthday for the Japanese. She was born in 1922 to Mr. and Mrs. Shintaro Okino, in the family farmhouse in Parlier, California. Soon, the family grew to include four sons and four daughters. She attended school in Parlier through high school, She also attended Japanese school in Parlier and became quite fluent in spoken and written Japanese. In 1948, she married Ernest Yamaguchi, who owned Erny’s Drug Store at 1409 Kern Street before the days of redevelopment. Together, they had four children. Fumiko participated in the PTA events of her daughters and anything else that fostered education, like field trips and science fair projects. She also loved to garden and produced fruits and vegetables throughout the year. In the 1970’s she helped her husband in the drug store due to his medical condition and trained herself to become familiar with prescription drugs. This proved to be useful as she then went off to work at Fresno Community Hospital after Erny’s Drug Store closed in 1973. At age 65 she retired to her garden and visited Japan, Florida, and Mexico before her health prevented her from taking long trips. She was predeceased by her husband, Ernest Yamaguchi; children, Joan and Kris Alan; parents, Shintaro and Yaino Okino, brothers, Setsuo Okino and Masayuki Okino; sister, Michiko Uyeda. Fumiko is survived by her daughters, Jane of Fresno and Elaine of El Cerrito; brothers, Minoru Okino and Yasuo Okino; sisters, Yoshiye Kobashigawa and Chizuye Koki. She is also, survived by numerous brothers and sisters-in-law, n ieces, nephews, aunts, and their children. We would like to thank the caregivers at Mum’s for the excellent care and loving home they provided for the last five years while Fumiko was in residence there.

Kenneth Yonemura, resident of Cupertino Apr. 10, 1926-Apr. 10, 2010

Viola Kitahara, 87, passed away on April 10. She was the beloved wife of George; mother of Dee Logan and her husband Randy, Ellen Anderson and her husband Joe; Gary Kitahara and his wife Luann, and Barbara Mukai and her husband Terry; sister of Sophia Takeda; grandmother of Kristin, Justin, Michelle, Emily, Kari, Kyle and Allyson; and great-grandmother of Logan.

Lily Uriko (Uematsu) Uyeda passed away, peacefully, April 19, at Desert Rose Elder Care in Twenty-nine Palms, California She is preceded in death by her parents, Sadazo “Joe” and Shizu (Mizoguchi) Uematsu, her brothers, Joseph “Joe” and Kazuji “Kaz” Uematsu, her husband, George Uyeda, and daughter, Susan (Uyeda) Muller. Lily was born Jan. 31, 1924 in Los Angeles. In her youth, Lily studied classical Japanese dance and theater. At the age of 12, she accompanied her dance teacher on a sea voyage to study in Japan for 2 years. At the age of 14, she returned to the United States and resumed school while performing and teaching dance to younger students, in her spare time. During her senior year in High School, WWII uprooted her family and forced them into “relocation” camps in Rohwer, Arkansas. After the war, she moved to Chicago, Illinois for work. Her future husband, George, whom she met in Rohwer, pursued her and they were wed. George and Lily returned to Stockton, CA to set up housekeeping and while George helped run the family farm with his father and brother, Harry, until 1973. In 1973. George and Lily moved to El Nido, CA and then later to Ceres, CA. George continued to work in the agricultural business, until his death in 1989. In 1982, her only daughter, Susan, was thrown from a vehicle and suffered severe brain injury. Lily spent countless days talking and sitting by her daughter’s side while she lay in a coma. In 1983, as therapy, Lily purchased Memory Florist in Stockton with the intent of Susan, maybe, being able to, somehow, join her one day. This would never happen; Susan passed in 1985. Lily eventually sold the shop and retired in 1999. She lived in Stockton until 2006. Lily moved to Twentynine Palms to live in the care of her eldest son, Graydon, and his wife, Gail. They lovingly provided daily care and companionship until her passing. Lily is survived by her sons: Graydon “Chuck” Uyeda (Gail) of Twentynine Palms, California and Vernon Uyeda (Lenore) and Milton Uyeda (Dawn) of Stockton, CA. Lily is also survived by grandchildren: Peter Muller of Yorba Linda, David Uyeda of Yucca Valley, Graydon Uyeda Jr. of Forest, VA, Joseph Uyeda of Las Vegas NV, Hillari Uyeda-Zighelboim of San Francisco, Mariko Uyeda-Dotts of San Francisco and Andres Uyeda of Stockton; step grandchildren: Michelle Licht of San Jose, Karen Rojas of Stockton, and Ann-Marie Schanzenbach of Stockton; 10 great-grandchildren, one great-great-grandson. There is also one great-grandson and two great-great-grandchildren on their way. Lily did not discover a medical breakthrough destined to save thousands of lives. Nor did she write a famous novel that touched the hearts of all who read it. But she did raise a family through some tough times and she was proud in the careeers of each one. Lily was many things in her life. As with all women, she was a daughter, a sister, a friend, a dancer, a teacher, a secretary, a wife, a homemaker, a salesperson, a store owner, an aunt, a grandmother and a great-grandmother, and a great-great grandmother. But most of all, she was a mother to her children. Lily is remembered in the 60’s, by friends and acquaintances in the Waterloo-Morada area, for her cooking and baking skills. She has been given credit for introducing Japanese food to her Caucasian friends before it became chic as she displayed her wizardry in the kitchen during a New Year’s open-house or one of many family functions. Her children will always remember the six times a day she mopped floors and those starched, ironed sheets. They will remember not to track in any dirt into the house and to leave the toilet seat down. They will remember the smell of fresh baked bread and dinner, every night, on the table at 6 p.m. They will remember those special desserts and family gatherings. They will remember a mother with a loud infectious laugh, who was gifted with her hands, and resolute in her convictions. Lily was not active in many groups, but might be remembered by some old friends as a canasta player and bowler. Lily enjoyed the arts and had a love of music which she imparted to her family. A graveside service will be held at the Rural Cemetery in Stockton, CA on Friday, May 21, at 1:00 p.m. A celebration of her life will follow the service. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to the American Cancer Society or Hospice.

Duane Joseph Onomiya died peacefully at home in Napa on April 14. He was 56 years old. Born in Ukiah, California, Duane graduated from Ukiah High School in 1971. He was both a gifted student of math and science and a talented wrestler and football player. In his senior year, he was named Scholar-Athlete of the Year. After graduating from the University of California, Davis, with a BA in Economics, Duane was accepted at the prestigious business school of the University of Chicago, where he received an MBA degree. He was an expert in banking and finance, and he worked in high-level positions for the duration of his working life. A man of great intellectual curiosity, Duane became knowledgeable in many areas, including antique coins, rocks and minerals, and mushrooming. He enjoyed caving, bicycling, gardening, and golf. He was also an avid wine connoisseur and collector and an excellent cook. His travels took him to Asia and to Europe, and across the United States several times. Raised in a rural setting, Duane maintained a life-long interest in the outdoors, where he liked to hike, explore, and hunt. Duane was predeceased by his parents, Marie and Tom Onomiya; and is survived by his sister, Marsha Onomiya Evans; aunts Holly Onomiya and Suzy Hirooka; uncle Roderick Hara; cousins Gregory and Roland Hara, and Terry Hirooka. He is also survived by the many loving friends who supported, encouraged, and sustained him through his seven month battle with cancer. Duane’s special character touched many lives, and he will be greatly missed by the family and friends who knew and loved him.

Tomoko Carol Asahara Matsukawa passed away suddenly in Salt Lake City, Utah on April 20. She will be remembered for her love of family, community, gardening, hiking, mountain biking, nature and adventure. She volunteered with the Salt Lake Visitor Information Center, Utah Museum of Natural History and Friendship Force. Preceded in death by parents Teruo and Masako Asahara, and siblings David Asahara and Joan Kawamura. Survived by husband Shigeru Matsukawa, children Andrew, Jon and Joi Matsukawa, siblings Francis and Paul Asahara and Lois Yuki, and dogs River and Timothy. The “BEST” wife, mother, sister, aunt and best friend. You are forever in our hearts. You are amazing - and like the fine wine you enjoyed, you grew better over time. While most people slow down with age, every year you became more loving and energetic. We cherish the time we had together and are grateful for your love and all that you’ve given us. We look forward to the day we are with you again.

Jim Yamauchi, 85, of Stockton, California passed away on April 23. He was born to Jusaburo and Takino Yamauchi on May 8, 1924 in Walnut Grove. He was raised there and in Tracy where he graduated from high school. In 1948 he entered the US Army, and received his Honorable Discharge in 1952. He farmed in the Delta area on Union Island, until he went into the trucking industry. Jim was married to Sumiko Alice Wakabayashi in 1959, and they made their home in Stockton. In 1960 he began trucking for George Kishida Trucking for the next 30 years. He was a member of the Stockton Buddhist Church, he enjoyed working in his vegetable garden, and spending time with his grandson, Nick. He was preceded in death by eleven siblings. Jim is survived by his wife, Sumiko Alice Yamauchi of Stockton; children, Gary (Rosalinda) Yamauchi, Greg Yamauchi, and Christina (Victor) Yamauchi-Fong all of Stockton; two grandchildren, Nick and Alyssa; and two sisters, Nancy Natsuhara of Stockton and Lorraine Hayashi of Sacramento.

Kenneth “Ken” Sakata was born in Fresno, Ca. on Sept. 27, 1940, and passed away peacefully at home on April 24, at the age of 69 “well-lived” years. Born to Masaru and Yukiko Doris Sakata, Ken graduated from Parker High School and attended California State University, Fresno, where he obtained his BA and MA degree. In 1963, he married his high school sweetheart, Frances Kakutani, with whom they shared 46 years of marriage and a wonderful life together. Ken’s professional career as an educator spanned 40 years specializing in the art of woodworking. Places of employment included Irwin Junior High School; Roosevelt High School and Fresno City College, where he taught vocational cabinetmaking for 22 years and retired from in 2003. In his retirement years, Ken loved playing golf, traveling with Frances and spending time with family. He was a member of SIRS and Fresno Nisei Golf Clubs, which he enjoyed very much. Preceding Ken in death was his father, Masaru Sakata; and brother Richard Sakata. Ken was a beloved husband, son, brother, brother-in-law, uncle and friend. We are so blessed to have known him and will forever cherish our memories and times spent with Ken. The family wishes to extend a heartfelt thanks to Saint Agnes Hospice and Right At Home for the care they provided to Ken and support they provided to the family. Ken is survived by Frances, his loving wife and best friend; his mother, Yukiko Doris Sakata; his sister and brother-in-law, Jane and Leo Takeuchi; sister-in-law, Joan Sakata of Elk Grove, sister-in-law, Minnie Koh of Carlsbad, Ca.; sister-in-law, Irene Blanchard of Sherman, Tx.; brother-in-law, Johnson Kakutani; and many cherished nieces and nephews.

Jimmie T. Fukumoto, resident of San Jose, passed away April 24 peacefully at home. Jim is survived by his wife of 58 years Alice, daughters Doris Yanari (Carl), Debbie Doi (Steve), Carol Hayashi (Dean), and Susan Fukumoto (Kelly); grandchildren Danielle, Brandon, Brian, David, Adam, and Emily, and predeceased by his daughter Linda and parents Hatsuji and Misao. Jim grew up working on the family farm in Santa Clara County. He owned and operated a landscaping business for many years before becoming a heavy equipment operator in 1968. Jim retired in 1990. He spent his retirement years enjoying his grandchildren, gardening and “working” as the family handyman.

Hatsue Ouye, 87, longtime resident of Oakland, passed away peacefully on April 25, at her residence at the Carlton Plaza. Born on Feb. 8, 1923, in Centerville, CA. A longtime resident of Oakland, she was preceded in death by her beloved husband, Seigo and daughter, Vicki. She is survived by her children, Dorinne Tsuchiya (Ken Paris), Russell (Janice) Ouye and Tami (John) Hammerton; grandchildren, Nathan, Matthew, Casey, Jeffrey and Lisa; great-granddaughter, Kiyomi.

Hiroshi Hal Tsuboi father/grandfather passed away on April 26 at the age of 94. We are deeply saddened but comforted in knowing he is together again with his wife of 66 years, after five months of unbearable sadness. The family would like to thank Dr. Robert Bennett, Jr. and the staff of St. Agnes Medical Center, especially 5 North Telemetry for all their wonderful care and support. Hal was a gentleman farmer who wanted to leave this world quietly without attention to himself. His family is respecting his wishes by having a private burial service. They are survived by daughter, Lynn Fukuda and her husband Kevin; grandchildren, Corrie and Ryan Fukuda. Also survived by Kenso Tsuboi and his wife Josie, and Jack Ikawa and his wife Helen; and many nieces and nephews. Remembrances may be made to your charity of choice.

Kazuko Kumamoto, resident of San Jose, passed away on April 26 peacefully with her family by her side. She is survived by her loving husband of 62 years Mitsuru, sons Bob (Vernice), Howard, Tom (Clara), Glen (Renee) and daughter Marcia (Dave). She is also survived by eight grandchildren, Mika, Shanon, Kevin, Eric, Scott, Cori, Justin and Sarah.

George Shigeto Furukawa, born on Dec. 19, 1920, in Acampo, Calif., he attended Houston Elementary School and graduated from Lodi High School in 1940. During WWII, with his family, he was evacuated to Stockton Assembly Center and sent to Rohwer Concentration Camp in Arkansas. After being accepted for a six-month work leave from camp, he relocated to Chicago, Ill., and worked at Blue Island Cannery, eventually beginning his career as an auto mechanic. Upon returning to camp, he brought the rest of his family to Cleveland, Ohio, where he worked for McDonough Motors. In 1948, while visiting California, he met Myrtle Tanaka through an arrangement, and was married on March 19, 1949. They resided in Cleveland, and after having enough snowy weather, returned to Sacramento in 1952, where he was hired at Miller Automobile, which later became Swift Dodge. He soon became an active leader in the Japanese American community through membership in Buddhist Church of Florin, Florin J.A.C.L., and Hiroshima Nikkeijinkai, earning numerous recognitions and awards throughout his lifetime. In 1966, he was hired by State of California, California Highway Patrol, as an auto mechanic. After 20 years, he retired in 1986. Following recovery from bypass surgery in 1987, he was enjoying retired life, spending time with his grandchildren, being a personal mechanic to family and friends, gardening, helping others, and pursuing his passion for photography. Inflicted with spinal osteoporosis, his way of life became increasingly more difficult, his pain forcing him to be largely home bound for the past six months. He suddenly entered Nirvana at home on April 26. Preceded in death by parents Hoichi and Wakano Furukawa and sister Mary. Survived by wife Myrtle Furukawa; son Randy Furukawa (Cindy); daughter Ailene Nishida (John); grandchildren Shinchan, Erik, and Kiyumi Nishida.

Grace Itsuko Takeuchi, 88, of Stockton, passed away on April 26. She was born to Katsuichi and Ayako Matsune on Dec. 19, 1921 in Sacramento, and raised in Isleton, CA. During World War II the family was relocated to Tule Lake. Grace was married to Kenji Takeuchi in 1944. Following the war, they returned to this area and in 1958 started Charter Way Florist. They owned and operated the flower shop until retiring in 1985. Grace was a longtime active member of the Stockton Buddhist Temple, as well as Stockton Buddhist Women’s Association, the Tomo No Kai, the Stockton Japanese American Citizens League, the Kumamoto Kyoyu-Kai, and the Stockton Sister City Association. Grace was preceded in death by her daughter, Joyce M. Takeuchi. She is survived by her husband of 65 years, Kenji Takeuchi of Stockton; 2 sons, Derrick K. Takeuchi (Gail) of Palos Verdes Estates, and Kevin K. Takeuchi (Tomomi) of Santa Ana; 4 grandchildren, Rand Kenzo Takeuchi, Christopher Seiji Takeuchi, Stephanie Megumi Takeuchi, and Mika Jasmine Takeuchi; 2 brothers, Ralph H. Matsune (Kyoko) of Stockton, and Haruo Matsune of Walnut; sister-in-law, Joan Matsune of Stockton; and brother-in-law, Ed Yoshikawa of Stockton.

Cynthia A. Morikone, born in 1976, Cyndi unexpectedly passed away on April 28, at the tender age of 33. She will be remembered by her family and friends for her bubbling energy and passion for life. As a Georgetown class of 2004 graduate, she practiced law, focusing on helping those in need, and taking on the challenges of those who were unable to afford a defense on their own.

Taro Tom Takeda, resident of Alameda, passed away peacefully at his home in Alameda on May 1. He was the beloved husband to the late Mildred Takeda for 49 years; loving father to Dianne (Eddie) Matsuoka, Janet (Rodney) Kwan, Douglas Takeda and Gary (Maggie) Takeda; devoted grandfather to Jason & Jennifer Matsuoka, Tracie Takeda, Michelle, Sandy & Michael Kwan. He was preceded in death by his parents: Risaburo & Shizu Takeda; brothers Shizutoshi (Phat) and Sachi Takeda; sister Haruko Yamashita. He is survived by sisters Toshi Tashiro of Walnut Creek and Masako (Tat) Mitoma of Orlando, Florida; sisters-in-law Sally Takeda of El Cerrito, Mae Takeda of San Leandro, Clara Stanton of Hanford and brother-in-law Tak Yamashita of San Francisco. He was uncle to many nephews and nieces. Taro was born at home delivered by a midwife in Alameda, CA and attended Everett School, Porter School and Alameda High School. He was a lifelong Alameda resident. He played baseball, football, basketball and enjoyed fishing. He was a member of the Alameda Taiiku-Kai Baseball team and a long time fan of the SF Giants and 49ers. He served in the U.S. Army from 1940 - 1945 and was stationed in Hawaii where he met and later married Mildred Fujiko Kaneshiro. He worked at US Steel plant for 34 years until his retirement. He also worked as a gardener for customers in Alameda. He was a lifetime member of the Buddhist Temple of Alameda and belonged to the Alameda JACL. He will be greatly missed by his family and everyone whose life he touched.

Yoshi Grace Hattori passed away peacefully on May 1, at the age of 89. She was born in Stockton, California to George Hagio and Naka Kamachi. Grace was the second child in a large family of 10 children. Growing up, basketball was Yoshi’s (as she was known in Stockton) passion. She was a member of the Stockton Busy Bees, a touring basketball team that travelled throughout the western United States. When she wasn’t travelling, she along with her brothers and sisters, worked hard helping out in their family hotel business. Grace married Roy Hattori on April 18, 1944 while in the internment camp located in Rower, Arkansas. Grace and Roy were married 66 loving years. Throughout the community it was often said what an adorable couple they were because they were always seen holding hands. At friends and family celebrations they were also known to be quite the swinging dance couple. After her retirement at age 62, they enjoyed going to Reno and Las Vegas three to six times a year. Grace was very lucky and was always perfectly happy at her nickel machine. When Costco came, she and Roy would start there almost every morning for coffee and became fast friends with many of the employees.

Grace worked in retail at J.C. Penny on Alvarado Street for eight years. There she had tremendous customer loyalty because of her integrity with people. Grace was a talented seamstress and taught sewing at the Pacific Grove Adult School for several years. Grace later worked for Dr. John Ishizuki as a dental assistant for over 20 years. Grace was an active member of the Monterey Peninsula Buddhist Woman’s Association. She held many board positions and served as the English President in 1982.

Grace is survived by her devoted husband, Roy; her children and their spouses, Rick Hattori (Ellie), Robbin Pickering (Eric) and Ranko Nakamura (Gary); grandchildren, Jenny Hattori, Tommy Hattori (Danielle), Doug Pickering (Lori) Chris Pickering (Nicole) and Jeff Nakamura. She was the beloved great grandmother of Megan Pickering, Ashlee Pickering, Rachael Pickering and Ryan Pickering, and great- great-grandmother to Grace Pickering and Leah Pickering. She is also survived by her siblings, Rose Tsunekawa, Aki Hagio, Maggie Yamaguchi, Rolland Hagio and Marsha Hiraide. Grace was preceded in death by her grandson, Robbie Nakamura; siblings, Gary Hagio, Alan Hagio, Masao Hagio and Shige Mizuno; and her beloved cat, Tiger. Grace’s special smile that lit up the room whenever she entered will be dearly missed by her family and many friends.

Reiko Matsushita, loving mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother passed away on May 2. She was 88 years old. She was born on March 25, 1922 on a farm in Penryn, California and was the fifth oldest of 13 children. She started school a year early and graduated from Placer High School in 1939. She was married to Hisatoshi Tamaribuchi in December 1941 and had three sons. Her husband passed away in 1966 and she married George Matsushita in 1971. George passed away in 2007. She worked for the State of California in retired in 1984 after being in charge of payroll at CSU Sacramento. She was an active member of the Ladies Auxilary VFW Post 8589 and the Matsuyama Sacramento Sister City Corporation where she was a delegate on many trips to Matsuyama. She a major supporter of the Sacramento Taiko Dan. In the 1950’s and 60’s she was Superintendent of the Placer Buddhist Church Sunday School. She was a avid golfer with very accurate putting stroke winning the VFW ladies perpetual trophy for many years. She is survived by her sons Satoru and Stephen Tamaribuchi, daughter in law LeAnne, many grand children and great grand children, sister Etsuko Kohagura and brothers, Ben, Taka, Akio, and Kaz Seo.

Kinji Robert Shibuya of Hayward and Honolulu, a retired professional wrestler passed away peacefully on May 3. He was born in Utah, the fourth of five sons to Kinkichi and Kura Shibuya. He graduated from Belmont High School in Los Angeles and attended the University of Hawaii where he was a four-year “Hula Bowl” football star. Later he played semi-pro football and was a champion sumo wrestler before turning professional. During his successful 25-year career as a pro wrestler in the US, Canada, Japan and Australia, he held numerous individual and tag-team World Championship titles. He appeared in major motion pictures and on television in several episodes of Kung Fu and other shows. After a long happy life of nearly 89 years, he died of natural causes with his family at his bedside. He was an avid Japanese koi collector and was known for his great sense of humor. He loved his family and his many friends. He will be forever missed by his wife of 59 years, Janet; daughter Michele and her fiance, Jerome Scherer of Danville, CA; his son Robert Kinji and his wife Michele, and their sons Robert Kinji III and Richard Noboru of Manhattan Beach, CA. A Memorial Service will be held on May 16 at 3 p.m. at the Southern Alameda County Buddhist Church at 32975 Alvarado-Niles Rd. Union City.

Henry Shuso Tange was born to Shimataro and Hamayo Tange in Clovis, California. He attended Lincoln Elementary School in Clovis and Granville Elementary School in Sanger. At Sanger High School, Henry played football and participated in the Future Farmers of America Club. After graduating from Sanger High, Henry worked on the family farm until his family was interned in Poston, Arizona. In camp Henry worked on furloughs to help plant and harvest potatoes, tomatoes, peaches, and watermelons in Idaho, Colorado, and Texas. After the war Henry returned to the family farm in Sanger. There he met and married Beatrice Kondo and raised four children. He enjoyed going fishing and abalone hunting with his friends and watching his son, Clyde play football at Sanger High. His tough exterior changed with his granddaughter asking him to read to her when football was on. His grandsons Eric and Nathanael kept him young at heart. Henry is survived by his four children, Suzanne Tange, Chris Tange and his wife Jill, Teresa Tange, and Clyde Tange and his wife Cathy; and three grandchildren, Ashley, Eric, and Nathanael. Services were held on May 7 in Clovis.

Norman Taniguchi, resident of Redwood City, passed away peacefully on May 3, at the age of 90 years. Born in Fowler, CA and resided in Redwood City, CA since 1957. He is survived by his wife, Flora; daughter Cathy Josselyn; son Dale Taniguchi and his wife Nancy; and daughter Elaine Chiu and her husband Ray. Grandfather to Rodney Josselyn and his wife Kari; Jennifer Chiu; Lauren Taniguchi; and Cynthia Chiu. Great-Grandfather to Bryanna, Gibson, and Jesse Josselyn. He was a loving and caring husband, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. His memory will live on in all the lives he has touched. He will be missed dearly.

Bobby “Bob” Matsuura was born in Ogden, Utah on October 27, 1946, to Massey and Fumiko Matsuura. Bob was the eldest of 4, Fred Matsuura, Nancy Matsuura, and Jerry Matsuura. Bob was married to Janice Ohara in 1969. They had two children, Rich and Ron Matsuura, and two grandchildren, Emi and Naomi Matsuura.Bob was 63 when he passed away peacefully on May 5, 2010 after battling heart disease for several years. Bob came to San Jose with his family in 1951 where he attended James Lick High School and San Jose State University. For the past 40 years, he has raised his family in South San Jose. Bob was an active entrepreneur. He and Gary Morikawa started Matsuura Morikawa Alarm company in 1972, and sold it to Edison International in 1998 after installing several thousand alarm systems in homes and businesses. Bob was the owner of Campbell Pool ‘N’ Pizza during the 90’s, then later Cuetopia Billiard Cafe. Later he led New Business Development for RFI Security Systems, where he was excited to work with many of the local celebrities and CEOs of Silicon Valley. Bob always ran his businesses around building relationships, and genuinely enjoyed interacting with and befriending his numerous patrons to his businesses. Though his businesses were successful, he never measured his success in terms of profit, but rather used his businesses to offer exceptional service, and develop great friendships. Bob was involved with both of his sons in the Boy Scouts of America. Through his support, and active involvement, both achieved the rank of Eagle Scout. His participation in the Boy Scout program took him on over 50 camping trips, miles of hiking, and fond memories that he talked often for the rest of his life. Services will be held on Saturday May 15 at 2:00pm, at the Santa Clara Valley Japanese Christian Church – 40 Union Ave, Campbell, CA.