Tomiko Oka Michisaki, former resident of Los Gatos, passed away on June 24. Graveside ceremonies were held on July 5 for Tomiko Oka Michisaki who passed away peacefully at her Southern California home at the age of 96. She was born Oct. 10, 1917 in San Francisco to Tozaburo and Sumi Oka and raised in Los Gatos, along with her brother Isamu and sister Toyoko. She attended San Jose State University, studying art and captaining the tennis team. Tomi met her husband Henry Ichiro Michisaki in Los Angeles and the couple made their home in Southern California for over 60 years. They raised six children. Henry served his country in the US Army during WWII with the 442nd Infantry. He preceded Tomi in death in 2004. Mrs. Michisaki leaves her children, Kathryn, Richard, Reiko, Toni and Mari. She also is survived by her loving grandchildren, great grandchildren, beloved nieces, nephews and extended family members. She was preceded in death by her son Kenneth in 2004.

Our dear Auntie Joyce (AJ) passed peacefully into the next life on June 28, at 101 years of age. Joyce Misao Makishima was born on Oct. 1, 1912, the fifth of seven children of Koichi and Suye Makishima (Yamanaka). She was predeceased by her parents, step-father Geichi Yamanaka, five siblings, and her beloved dog, Binky. She is survived by sister Kinuye (Kini) Muraki, nieces and nephew Linda Muraki, Gordon Muraki (Jo), Jayne Muraki Rasmussen (Scott), Holly Fong Korach (John), great nephews and nieces Jason Fong, Ryan Fong, Kiri Rasmussen, Misa Rasmussen, Joshua Muraki and Matthew Muraki. A 1930 gradu­ate of Sacramento High School, Joyce worked as a house girl for Dr. C.H. McDonnell, a promi­nent Sacramento physician, and his family. At age 20 she supported her twice-widowed mother and 15-year-old Kini when their mother lost her eye­sight from glaucoma. In 1942, the war forced Joyce’s family into the Tule Lake internment camp. She was allowed to leave camp after securing a clerical position at the Stevens Hotel in Chicago and was later joined by her mother and Kini, whose husband, George, was serving in the US Army Military Intelligence Service. After the war, the family returned to Sacramento and Joyce returned to the McDonnell family as a caregiver/companion until the 1960’s death of matri­arch, Irma. Joyce then managed a small import gift shop within Hollywood Hardware for a few years before working and retir­ing from the State of California, Department of Real Estate after 17 years. She became ‘AJ’ to the next generation of great nieces and nephews and helped Kini babysit all of them. In 2003 AJ broke her hip and moved to Waterleaf assisted living. It was her home for the past 11 years. AJ will be remembered as a caring, responsible, stylish, classy and independent woman, ahead of her time. She modelled perseverance in the face of adversity, financial responsibil­ity, generosity and humility, always looking after her family. She also made the best soups and desserts!

Yoshimitsu “Yosh” Hada, life­long resident of Newcastle, passed away peacefully in his home on July 9. He was pre­ceded in death by his beloved wife, Chiyo. He served as CPL in US Army – Korea. He grew plums, pears and persimmons in Newcastle. He worked at Formica Corp. in Rocklin from 1967 to 1985. He leaves behind sons, Dennis and Steven; daughter, Lisa Doyle; grandson, Justin Doyle and sisters, Hattie Hada and Juliee Blake.

Kazue Nellie Yokoyama, resident of San Jose, passed away July 11 surrounded by her family after a brave 3 1/2 year struggle with the effects from a stroke. First and foremost, Nellie was an excellent wife, mother and grandmother. She was extremely proud and protective of her family. Nothing made her happier than spend­ing time with them. She loved to entertain family and friends over a home-cooked meal. Nellie worked in the strawberry fields, raised her family, returned to school to obtain her AA at 50 then joined the work force at ADP. She later volunteered at San Jose Hospital (1,500+ hrs.) and joined the Yu-Ai Kai Tai-chi classes. Her many hobbies included traveling, painting, cro­cheting, gardening, sewing, and creating Japanese Folk Art. You could find her loudly rooting at any athletic event her family was involved in or cheering loudly for the 49ers and Giants. Nellie was a lifelong enthusiastic learner with a zest for life. She was all this and so much more. Nellie was predeceased by her husband of 56 years, Kenji; her daughter, Nancy Ann; and siblings Bob, Mike, Ruth and Patty. She is sur­vived by her children; Mark, Chad (Victoria), Kirk (Pauline), Sallie (Brian) & Linda (Mick), cherished grandchildren; Jennifer (Brian), Jonathan, Brice, David, Nancy, Lisa, Dayson, Brandon, Jalen, Tirzah & Kai and sisters; Grace and Betty. “Ma Nellie” will be sorely missed by all of us.

Tsugino Oto, born in Stockton on July 25, 1926, Tsugino was raised in Japan. After the war, she moved back to the U.S and resided in Sacramento since 1948. Tsugino entered Nirvana on July 14 with her family by her bedside. She is survived by her husband, Hiroshi Oto of 63 years, daughter, Joanne (Bob) Chew, and sons David (Amy) Oto and Steve (Denise) Oto. Tsugino was the loving grandmother of seven grandchil­dren and one great-grandchild. Her greatest joy was attending the grandchildren’s events and seeing her great-granddaughter. She was an active member of the VFW Ladies’ Auxiliary, Sac­ramento Fujinkai, and South Sacramento Tanoshimikai.

June C. Fujii, 93, resident of Gilroy, passed away peacefully in Saratoga on July 14. June proceeded the passing of her husband Masashi Bob Fujii in 1993. She was a loving mother of; Henry (Mari), Fred and Ben Fujii; granddaughter Michelle Fujii Watanabe and Toru Wata­nabe; Fred M. Fujii and Ben T. Fujii.

Eiko Shibata Kincaid, 94, resi­dent of San Jose, died peaceful July 16 in her home. Eiko’s quiet and sweet temperament hid her adventurous and bold risk taking nature. Born July 9, 1920 in Osaka, Japan she came to the United States as a war bride, speaking little English. She landed in Fort Huachuca, Arizona, before departing again for Munich, Germany with her young daughter, Betty Jo, in 1954. After returning to the United States in 1958, she finally settled in California. She never stopped traveling the world and exploring the United States with relish. Eiko would take life as it came, both with stoic patience and dignified joy. She always cherished the small tokens she collected from her travels and given to her from family and friends. Eiko truly loved work­ing in the garden and creating beautiful flower arrangements. Eiko was enduringly kind and giving her devotion to her daugh­ter Betty Jo, her son-in-law Tom Sims, grandson Paul and granddaughter Thesha. Five grandsons, Xavier, Magnus, Ian, Camden and Dashiell, also survive her. Her husband Donald George Kincaid predeceased her in 1977.


George N. Horio, 80, passed away on July 17 after a long ill­ness. He was born May 2, 1934 in San Jose. George attended schools in San Jose and Heart Mountain, WY. He served in the Army during the Korean War and was stationed in Japan. He lived and worked in Petaluma for 30 years as a chick sexer. Upon his retirement, he enjoyed playing golf with his friends and often drove back to San Jose to be with his family. George was preceded in death by his parents, John and Mary Horio, brother Fred (Martha) Horio, and sister June (Ted) Tokunaga. He is survived by his sister, Rosie (Dempsey) Maruyama and brother, Mike (May) Horio. He leaves many nieces and nephews who will miss him dearly. Generous, kind, and thoughtful to all of his relatives and friends, George left many cherished memories and was loved by all. He is gone from our sight but not from our hearts.

Andrew “Andy” Mitsuo Fujimoto, 72, of Oakland, passed away on July 18 at Oakland Kaiser Medical Hospital. He was born on Maui and raised on Lanai, Hawaii. Andrew is survived by his wife, Yoshie, son, Rodney (Michelle), daughter, Lynne “Lynko”, and grandchildren. He is also sur­vived by sisters, Gail Higa, Lisa Nakamura, Leah Kotani, neph­ews, nieces, and grandnieces of Hawaii. A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m., at the San Francisco Buddhist Church on Saturday, Aug. 16.

Barbara Sumiko Edmonds, resi­dent of Sunnyvale, passed away peacefully at home with her family on July 19, at the age of 52, after a brave battle with pancreatic cancer. Barb was a super band mom, dedicated drum corp volunteer, team mom, active member of many com­munity service organizations, recipient of many service awards, and a loyal Cal graduate. She rallied the support of the com­munity to raise awareness and money for pancreatic cancer research. Her generous spirit and infectious smile will be missed by all. Beloved wife of George Edmonds; loving mother to Wil­liam and Sarah; adored compan­ion to Kira, her Wheaton Terrier. Devoted daughter of George and Elsie Oyama; cherished aunt to Laura, Olivia and Eric; and sister of Lois. Preceded in death by her sister Nancy.

Haruko Katamoto of San Mateo, passed away on July 20, and joined her husband, Ky, in heaven at age 96. Even though mom was very quiet, she had great inner strength. Special thanks to Heritage Inn for the wonderful care she received and the many friendships she developed. She is survived by her children Grace (Rod) Wada and Margaret (Dee) Lim and four grandchildren, Lisa (Lance) Nitta, Kevin (Crystal) Wada, Kellie Lim, Russell Lim and one great-grandson.

Eiko Yamamoto, 81, resident of Los Altos, at rest on July 21. Sur­vived by her husband of 58 years, Michitaka Yamamoto. Beloved mother of Manami Williams, Tom Yamamoto and Markus Yamamoto. Adored grandmother of Karina, Erina, Marina, Kimi and Michio Yamamoto.

Osamu “Ozzie” Shimada, resi­dent of Santa Clara, passed away on July 21. Survived by his chil­dren, Rudy, Gary, Tammy, Robert his siblings Frank, Sayo, Hach, Kurato and Muts. Six grandchil­dren and five great-grandchildren with two on the way.

Hiromichi “Hiro” Mifune, 85, res­ident of San Ramon, passed away July 22 in San Ramon. A native of Oakland, and 32-year resident of San Ramon. Survived by his wife of 62 years, Chizuko Mifune of San Ramon; daughter, Gayle Mifune of San Ramon; sons, Keith Mifune and Craig Mifune, and Craig’s wife, Lynn, all of San Ramon; sister, Michimi Nihei and her husband, Jun of El Cerrito; brother, Glenn Mifune and his wife, Gayle of Honolulu; grand­daughters, Arisa Mifune and Amber Mifune, both of Rocklin; and grandson, Gregory Mifune of San Ramon. Preceded in death by his brother, Katsumi Mifune in 2012. Member, Diablo Japanese American Club, Concord.

Roy Nagatoshi Fujita, resident of San Mateo, passed away July 24 at the age of 96. Beloved husband of Jean Fujita; cherished father of Cathy Fujita-Lam, Elen Heinrich and Michael Fujita; loving grandfather of Andrew, Chris, Amy and Mariko. Roy was a longtime resident of San Mateo who was born Jan. 28, 1918 in Santa Cruz. His natural curiosity, optimism and enthusiasm for life were inspiration for all who knew him. He was decorated with a Congressional Gold Medal and Bronze Star in 2011 having served in the 100th Infantry Bat­talion 442nd Regimental Combat Team in World War II.

Chimako Takayama, resident of Newark, passed away on July 24 in Newark, Calif. She was born March 18, 1929 in Kumamoto, Japan. Chimako was the beloved wife to the Late Paul Y. Takayama who passed away July 5, 2013. Chimako is survived by her daughter Midori Hamamoto of Newark, her sons, Yoshikazu Takayama, Michael Takayama, and the late Eilchi Takayama. She is also survived by 10 grandchildren, 14 great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild. Besides loving her family she loved spending time in her garden.

Larry Tatsuo Kaneshiro, resi­dent of San Jose, passed away peacefully on July 26, after a courageously fought battle with pancreatic cancer. He was born on June 26, 1944 in Honolulu. Survived by his wife Sandie, son Reid (Cindy), precious grand­daughter Khloe, loving Auntie Betsy Sugai, brothers Paul (the late Colette), Gary, Glenn, David (Linda), Jason (Dottie), sister JoAnn Fuller (Larry), nieces, nephews and relatives.

George Antoku, resident of San Jose, passed away peacefully on July 26 at the age of 90. He was born April 15, 1924 in Palo Alto and was part of a farming family. He was interned at Tule Lake during World War II along with other family members and he returned to farming after the war. In 1962, he moved to San Jose and became a truck driver until retiring in 1992. He kept his sense of humor until the end. He is survived by his loving wife of 59 years, Yoshika; his two sons, Richard and Walter; his daughter Jean Spink of St. Louis; six grandchildren; one great granddaughter; his sister Dorothy Yamada of San Jose; and numerous and wonderful nieces and nephews.

Carol Anne Noda, of Turlock, passed away on July 26, at Brandel Manor at the age of 72. Before Carol was confined to a wheel chair she was probably best known for her walking in the neighborhood. She walked to get a cup of coffee at the nearby diner, walked to the convenience store for a soda walked down to Mervyn’s or Goodwill to buy some clothes. She was a loving aunt but dealt with challenges after a diagnosis with schizo­phrenia in her early twenties. She was a happy person when around her nephew Willie, who was her next-door neighbor, as she enjoyed cooking for him, doing art projects together or playing games. Carol is pre­ceded in death by her grand­father, Denko Sekine, grand­mother, Mura Ishizuka Sekine, father, William Noda and sister, Joanne (Noda) Montgomery. Carol is lovingly remembered by her mother, Esther Noda-Toyoda, sister, Debbie Noda, brother-in-law, Robert Patten, nephew, William Patten, nephew George Montgomery III, niece-in-law, Linh Montgomery, grandnephew Georgie Montgomery IV and grandniece Lauren Montgom­ery, step-brother Jon R. Toyoda, step-sister Candice Marks and other family and friends. Carol was born in Turlock on June 18, 1942. She spent three years at the Tule Lake internment camp during WWII with her parents and sister Joanne. After the family’s release after the war in 1945 she was grew up in Turlock where her parents owned and operated The Ranch Market, a small grocery store on old Highway 99 (now Golden State Boulevard). Carol danced along with her sister Joanne in the June Jane Ripley dance school during grammar and high school. They also sang together in the First Christian Church choir. She graduated in 1960 from Turlock High and attended San Francisco State University.

Misako Mori, 86, passed away on July 26. She is survived by her grandson, Zac Mori Foster, granddaughter Becky Mori Foster Rife, Becky’s husband Josh Rife, Becky and Josh’s daughter Kaitlin Rife, son-in-law Tony Pulliam, future granddaughter-in-law Amber and future great-grandchildren Lillian and Austin. Misako was born on Dec. 22, 1927, to her parents Gihachi and Jun Tsugawa. She spent her childhood in Suisun Valley. Misako was very close to her mother, who died when Misako was 9 years old. Misako’s father passed away when Misako was 19. It was her Uncle, Asaichi Tsugawa of Suisun Valley, who cared for her. During the war years, Misako was interned in a desolate camp in Gila, Arizona. Misako enjoyed art very much. She graduated from California State University, Sacramento with a BA in Fine Arts. Misako lived in the Sacramento area for over 60 years. The Parkview Presbyterian Church in Sacra­mento members were a com­munity that Misako enjoyed for many years. In the last year of her life, Misako took an interest in and learned to play the piano. This was something that brought her a lot of joy.

Frances Yoshiko Kawada, 93, passed away peacefully on July 29. Frances was born to the late Zenkichi and Matsuye Yokoi. She will rejoin them as well as her sisters, Mary Nishimura and Rose, and brother, Tom. She is survived by brother, Roy (Yuri) and Fred (Jane) and sister, Lillian Mayeda and many loving nieces and nephews as well as her children, Karen, Robert (Bobby), and Vicki Cody (Michael) and her grandsons, Erik Brown and Michael Cody II. Frances’ favorite past time was to play with and spoil her grandsons. Frances retired after 25 years, Dec 1992 from Sutter Memorial Hospital cafeteria. Frances’ giving heart, her loving and caring spirit will be missed my many now that her work is done on earth.

Takeshi Sukekane, 70, from Merced area, died July 31.

Warren Hayashi, resident of Walnut Creek, passed away on Aug. 2. Survived by wife Pat, son Bruce of Martinez, sister Alison of Laguna Woods, and brother Yuzo of Loveland, CO.

Stella Xuan Shimabukuro was born on May 2, 1970 in Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland but grew up in Marina, California and graduated from Seaside High School, Class of 1988. Stella was very proud of the work she did at the Presidio Fire Department as an inspector until health reasons forced an early retirement. She was preceded in death by her loving brother, Richard T. Shima­bukuro. She is survived by her loving husband, Jeff Jacobsen; sons, Anthony (Alex) Hunter, Christian and Jonathan; grand­son, Colton Hunter; parents, Don and Xuan Shimabukuro; siblings, Quy, Duane and Christy Shimabukuro; nephews, Niko and Kainoa and childhood friend, Johnna Mellow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *