As of March 24, we have received announcements on Japanese American events being cancelled or postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak. The following are reprinted from the last issue and some newly announced ones.

Uchida Legacy Gala Postponed
Coach Yosh Uchida and the Judo Committee decided on March 6, that it would be prudent to postpone the Uchida Legacy Gala (which was originally scheduled for March 21) to a later date.  The decision was based on city and county guidelines related to the current health crisis, as well as the desire of the planning committee to ensure a safe and comfortable environment for all of you. We apologize for any inconvenience but know that this was the right decision, possibly alleviating any anxiety.  Any payments made will hold your seats at the rescheduled event, a date to be decided soon with the San Jose Fairmont Hotel. We will keep you posted and hope you will share this information with those at your tables or in your organizations.  We look forward to celebrating Yosh’s 100th birthday with all of you, honoring his legacy of leadership, philanthropy and community commitment – just on another date!
Southern Alameda County Buddhist Church
SACBC Bingo CANCELLED until April 5 (subject to further developments).  This action is based on recommendations from the Public Health Department to avoid large gatherings.  The Southern Alameda County Buddhist Church (SACBC) Board of Directors has been monitoring the ongoing novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Alameda County and has made the decision to temporarily cancel Sunday Family services until April 12. This action is based on recommendations from Alameda County Public Health Department. SACBC Board of Directors will continue to monitor the evolving situation and will provide updates to our Sangha members and friends via email, Golden Chain newsletter, our website, and Facebook page.
Buddhist Church of San Francisco
Due to Coronavirus concerns and following the recommendations of the San Francisco Dept. of Public Health, we are canceling religious services for March 15. BCSF is monitoring the situation and we will keep you updated.
Cupertino Cherry Blossom Festival
In an abundance of caution, Cupertino-Toyokawa Sister Cities, Inc. has decided to cancel this year’s Cupertino Cherry Blossom Festival that was to be held on April 25-26.
Northern California Cherry Blossom Festival
An emergency meeting held March 9 stated that the festival has been cancelled until further notice.
Nikkei Matsuri
Nikkei Matsuri, Inc has decided to cancel the 43rd Annual San Jose Japantown Nikkei Matsuri. This decision was a difficult one as we have held 42 consecutive annual festivals in San Jose Japantown prior to this year but the health and safety of our visitors is of the utmost importance to us and our number one priority. We sincerely pray for a rapid containment and solution to this pandemic and hope the people who have been affected return to good health and normalcy. Thank you for your support and we hope to see you next year!
Florin Buddhist Church
The church announced they are canceling senior lunches until September.
Yu-Ai Kai
Yu-Ai Kai is taking necessary precautions to prevent the spread of the coronavirus and to keep our seniors, staff, volunteers, and community safe and well. Yu-Ai Kai will postpone, cancel upcoming events or will be limiting our programs and services as follows:
Senior Day Services – Active, but attendance is not recommended
Social Service/Case Management – Active
Support Group – Suspended
Activities/Programs –Suspended (tax preparation will continue)
Nutrition – On-site meals for pick-up (reservations required)
Meals on Wheels – Active
Covia Market – Cancelled for the month of March
Brown Bag – Active
Facility Rentals – Cancelled
Yu-Ai Kai Lecture Series: Community Cookbooks Workshop-Postponed
Volunteer Recognition Luncheon – Postponed
Nihonmachi Fun Run – Postponed
Fresno Buddhist Temple
On behalf of the Fresno Buddhist Temple Board of Directors and the Cherry Blossom Festival Committee, I regret to inform you that our Cherry Blossom Festival has been CANCELLED. With the announcement by Gov. Newsom that all public gatherings should be cancelled, and the Fresno County Public Health Department in support, it is imperative that we cancel for the safety of our entire community and loved ones.
JAMsj–Japanese American Museum of San Jose’s Temporary Closure Due to COVID-19
The Japanese American Museum of San Jose will be temporarily closed beginning Monday, March 16, 2020 due to the coronavirus.
Upon the direction of the Santa Clara County Directives regarding COVID-19, JAMsj is taking the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of the virus to our community, visitors and volunteers.
We will also be canceling all group tours and public programs for at least the next three weeks. The following public programs are cancelled:
• March 29, 2020: Hidden Histories
• April 26, 2020: Kodomo no Hi Kids’ Day and Vintage Sale
We are monitoring the latest news on COVID-19 and will keep our website: and JAMsj Facebook page updated accordingly.
When we feel it is safe, we will welcome everyone back to the museum. Until then, please stay safe. Your health and well-being are extremely important to us.
NPS Amache Special Resource Study
Based on recommendations from federal, state and local health authorities, the National Park Service has decided to postpone public meetings in California that were planned as part of the Amache Special Resource Study.
Buddhist Church of Sacramento
In light of the recent news and recommendations from the CDC for Community and faith-based organizations, the Sacramento Betsuin Board of Trustees has made the decision to cancel services and all temple-led programs and activities starting from Saturday, March 14 through March 31. Services will be cancelled on the following dates: March 15, March 22, and March 29.
The annual dharma school Hanamatsuri play scheduled for April 12, are also cancelled. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Buddhist Church of Sacramento Executive Board on March 24, has decided to cancel the 2020 Obon and Bazaar.
All Camps Reunion
Due to the coronavirus COVID-19 health emergency declared by the US Government, the All Camps Reunion scheduled for May 2 at Quiet Cannon in Montebello will no longer take place.
The Committee is currently seeing options for a future date……Further information will be forthcoming.
Tule Lake Pilgrimage
The Tule Lake Pilgrimage Committee announces the sad news we are cancelling the 2020 Tule Lake Pilgrimage. The Pilgrimage was scheduled for July 3 through 6, 2020. All fees for pilgrimage registration and optional housing costs will be refunded in full.
Tsuru For Solidarity Announces Postponement of June 2020 Pilgrimage
Due to COVID-19, for health and safety reasons, we have made the difficult decision to postpone the June 5th-7th National Pilgrimage to Close the Camps in Washington, D.C.
We also are postponing the Caravan to Close the Camps. The dates we had planned to march in DC, June 5-6, will be a national weekend of physically distanced but socially unified Tsuru for Solidarity actions across the country.
We are also developing additional regional and national strategies to deepen and expand our work to close the camps and support directly affected communities. Please stay tuned for more information about our revised plans.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Obituary Announcement

Michael Bruce Okagaki May 14, 1957 - December 18, 2023 Michael Bruce…

Man Overcame Racism to Become Racing Legend

By John Sammon Kenny Hirata will tell you the most important thing…

Bay Area Woman Turns Love of Softball into Coaching Career

By John Sammon Shannon Mortimer has been instrumental in helping to grow…